Best and worst to Bay of LA
Friday June 15th
Arriving last night 6ish the marina manager was waiting for us after our friend Javier, the manager at Puerto Escondido, called and made a reservation. We were concerned with the weather might there might not be any space. The marina was full in the morning and 3 boats left heading north. We experienced 6 to 8 foot swells coming in that is reaching in to the harbor making all the boats at the marina dance in their slips.
A rainy day in Santa Rosalia so we took a taxi to do some sightseeing. I’ll do a photo blog of our tour in a separate update.
Special time in Santa Rosalia after the Friday rain. Weather is cool and damp, Perfect..
The crew hanging at the restaurant just across the street from the marina. The sea wall at a distance had surf crashing all day sending seas into the air.
Saturday June 16th
5:30 AM we off to San Francisquito 74 miles north.
Wow, what a day. Strong west winds just north of Santa Rosalia gave us our first big push. There’s a big mountain range that shuts down the wind for a couple of hours and then a westerly turning to south gave us a push allowing first a wing on wing and then a couple of hours of spinnaker time. Approaching San Francisquito big winds and huge tidal chop give us a big push then BAM hookup at the worst possible time. We worked to stall the boat while Jeffrey landed his prize 3’ yellowtail fish. Soon after winds peaked at 30kts less than a mile from our very protected anchorage. Anchor down and a big breath of relief as Jeffrey celebrates his big catch. Fish for dinner tonight. Another one of our best day sailing.
Sashimi and ceviche for dinner. Nice westerly breeze for the night water temp has dropped from 72 down to 60… Yicks
Sunday June 17th Father’s Day
I start the day working as the Amigo SSB radio net controller. We us the network of boats for our weather / conditions information. It’s operated by volunteers and I finally decided to step up and do my part. Great participation with lots of boats reporting in. Glad I did it.
We’re off to Bay of LA today 54 miles north. Looks to be a tuff day with winds forecasted to be on our nose.
Yep, as expected it was a very uncomfortable day with wind and 2-3’ chop coming at us. Not good.
Even with these conditions we made Bay of LA by 7 PM in time to for dinner at Guillermo’s restaurant.
Ugly day of sailing but all good now with a marg in our hands.
Until the next Update
Monday early morning fishing charters jigging for bate near the boat at sunrise
We’re off to Puerto Refugio today. Whale channel here we come…