Rally Days, Heading out to the islands (update #2)
I had to show our paddle boarders while we were anchored at Juncalito. Ladies took to it quickly and as a bonus while they were enjoying the water they decided to clean the bottom. Good Job ladies.
The Rally is heading to Isla Monserrate’s Yellow Stone beach on the north shore today. We’re off after Bob makes a big breakfast.
The day’s sailing started out strong with south east coming from Monserrate allowing the Rally to cross tacks as we made our way through the channel between Isla Carmen and Danzante. Monserrate is 18 miles to the SE of Juncalito and winds hold for about half the sail before we have to finish with a little assist.
Monserrate’s Yellow Stone beach is a mile stretch of white sand beach with a bright yellow cliff backdrop. The anchorage is most of the north end of the island and is subject to currents. Boats swing as much to current as to wind. In an earlier photo, Ralph swam to our boat with a good current in his favor and I had to tow him home with the current flowing pretty strong.
Yellow Stone is also a good place to have an impromptu beach party organized by Ralph and Helen. The Gato Loco crew was in charge of the fire. Bob’s handy work with napkins and paper plates and we have a roaring fire after a few prayers to the fire God.
As you can tell, we never have any fun on the Rally. Ralph always brings a table for the goodies and the Gato Loco dinghy makes a nice couch as well as the yellow sand stone stadium seating. Beautiful evening including the sunset.
Wednesday May 23rd
Swimming, snorkeling, paddle boarding and beach combing pretty much summed up the morning before we headed north for our next anchorage.
Strickadonia and Free Luff heading north
Our plans were to go to Salinas Bay where the old salt mine and wreck to dive are but morning weather indicates south winds are going to pipe up to 20kts tonight. We need a north lea shore so we head for Vee Cove one of our favorite anchorages. Looks like winds will be out of the the south for a fun ride north.
Vee Cove is a small little anchorage that would fit the 5 Rally boats but we find 2 boats already there so “no Bueno” on to plan B, Puerto La Lancha a mile further west. Winds gave a good ride north for the first few hours but flattened out. The forecasted winds came in strong as we rounded the north end of Carmen and continue through the night. Everyone is happy we planned the beach party last night. Tonight it video night on Strickadonia using their 32” TV. Ryan on Free Luff is a professional drone videographer and has some awesome Mexico footage. Fun night with the Rally fellowship but a wet ride back to Gato Loco with wind still blowing 15 with 20kt gusts.
All is well on Gato Loco
Until the next Update.