Hangin in Playa Santispac, Coyote Bay
Wednesday April 30th
Writing this update hunkered down in Conception Bay at Playa Santispac with strong north winds stopping our progress south. We anchored on Isla San Marcos Tuesday night with the beautiful sunset taken by Dave on Grey Goose. This leg has been plagued with the flu. I came down with it first as we were leaving Santa Rosalia, Jeffrey and Dave developed symptoms Tuesday night. We’re all doing much better today but my energy for writing updates was lacking.
Anyway back to weather… We have a big northerner blowing down the Sea of Cortez. I’m sure our southwestern friends are experiencing big winds also.. Ham radio weather this morning is forecasting 28-36Kt out of the NNW. After discussions with Grey Goose we’ve decided to stay here in Santispac another day with winds forecasted to lighten by 10kts tomorrow. Actually this is not a bad place to hang. A new restaurant has opened where one of our old favorites Ray’s used to be with the same quality and ambiance of Ray’s. Dinner there last night the fish was Yellowtail and the place was full of cruiser and locals.
Right,,This little guy was the restaurant greeter and all the locals knew him well as he curled up by their table patiently waiting for them to finish and pass him his portion.
Our passage south yesterday was another windy one, motor sailing for the first hour and then sailing around Punta Chivato down past Mulege into Conception. We probably used 6 gallons of fuel since leaving San Carlos.
Below Kelley shows off the catfish like fish they were catching at the Sweat Pea anchorage. They were hocking one on every cast but releasing then in hopes of getting some more interesting for dinner.
The gypsum mine is still going strong on San Marcos as we sail by. Grey Goose had dolphins running with them 2 different times. I guess we so busy sailing we didn’t notice them.
Photo left is from Grey Gooses bridge deck. As you can tell they are quite confortable relaxing up here. Jim navigates from the chair he’s setting in.
Our plans our to head south tomorrow morning at sunrise to get out of conception (north bound) before heading southbound before winds build around 11ish. We hope to make it to San Juanico.
Todays’ activity, hitch a ride into Mulege where I hope to send this blog.
Until the Next Update.