Penasco to Puerto Lobos Friday April 23
We mentioned fishing nets in our last update without details.. The boat alarm went off at 4 AM. Marina Penasco was cool and wet from rain that lasted well into the night. After Neelys shore stop, we were under way by 4:30. Near the mouth of the harbor fishing nets had been set almost fully across the entrance. Unfortunately it was too late when we saw them and tangle we did. With a bad wind direction, we finally had to cut our way free. As much as we hate to cut nets, having them in the harbor channel is looking for trouble.
The storm last night brought strong north winds. They had subsided to a light breeze, as we departed, with nice south bound waves giving us a little extra speed. Heading south gives a great view of the Penasco area shoreline which seems to expand each year.
9:30 and north winds back up to 10 so why not make our 1st head sail set for the 2010 cruise with the spinnaker. Within an hour winds drop and we’re back to motoring. Weather is warming and only distant clouds over Sonora can be seen. The boat is beginning to dry out.
1:00 predicted west winds arrive and we are able to shut motors down and enjoy the solitude of the sea.
3:00 and we’re sailing consistently at 7 kts and it looks like we will arrive in Puerto Lobos before 5.
Puerto Lobos looking SE>>>>
Winds have filled in still WNW so the south protections of Lobos will be perfect. The Lobos approach is very scenic with their colorful light house. Rounding the southern tip we see another sailboat sitting in the bay. It’s Andrew & his dog Maria who left Penasco 3 days ago as the storm started. Talking with them, they were blown off bird Island by the storm and ended up here to rest up. Their heading on down the Sonran coast..
Puerto Lobos in Bahia Tepoca
Fishing fleet just arriving back from a day of fishing. They drag their boats up the beach with trucks.
Fishermen resetting their nets for tomorrows efforts
Smooth quiet bay for dinner. Weather is still cool. No plans to swim at the moment. South winds forecasted for tonight but conditions seem to indicate that is unlikely. We want a good night sleep after our early start this morning.
Until the next update..
Bill, BTW… 2 problems, clutch cleats are cracking & BBQ valve is frozen..
Here’s an email I sent to Kurt for cleats. I will try to free the BBQ valve.
We’ve discovered that Gato Loco’s spinlock clutch cleats are cracking probably from sun exposure. Both Screacher cleats will need to be replaced ASAP. These are the smaller cleats with 4 on each side. I think we could get by with 2 new ones. Would it be possible for you to pick up 2 and bring to Baja with you. I will pay delivery charges 🙂
Let me know other wise I will have something ordered but not sure I could get them in time to make Loreto Fest..
Update Saturday Morning.. BBQ is up and working 🙂