Sting Reay back in Penasco
Lowell here… I was wrong about Sting Reay still being with Gato Loco. I assumed since nothing was mentioned that both boats were still together. Sting Reay’s engine problems apparently forced them to return from Ganzaga Bay to Penasco via Puertecitos. Read yet another harrowing story from Craig about him and John’s challenges to return to Penasco. Bad weather luck has giving Craig and his crews a serious challenge on his two trips to Baja and ironically this may be the last of the weather system through the area for a while. No word from Gato Loco today, but this is expected. Maybe tomorrow, if they cross to Sonora close enough to Kino Bay to pick up some cell service.
Craig’s email – April 16
After we left Gato Loco at Gonzaga we headed to Puertecitos by way of Isla San Luis to see the crater lake. The wind started to blow so we decided to head back to Gonzaga for shelter but the motor started acting up again, so we spent the night next to the houses on the beach just west of San Luis. Got up the next morning intending to hike on San Luis and spend the day there but the wind started building again so we decided to make for Puertecitos. It got pretty bad so we turned around to go back to Gonzaga. But I got the motor going so we turned around AGAIN to Puertecitos. Man what a battle. 35 plus winds big choppy waves, it was a nightmare. We didn´t get to Puertecitos, we anchored off a little beach just south of Puertecitos, double anchored and rode out the night….hellish winds all night. Got up the next morning and headed to PP. This is another one to remember (unfondly). We are both worn completely out!!!!! We did make it safe and sound. Sounds like Bill went through some tough hours as well. Hope all is well with them.
Leg 1 April 11-19, Crew: Bill, Bruce & Cynthia Tegge, Clyde Betts sail from Puerto Penasco to San Carlos