The journey back to Puerto Penasco begins with a hurricane.. Yikes!!
Home port Puerto Penasco
Monday June 11th
Returning from Baja last week Frankie and I sent some time in Prescott, some time helping nephew Brad and then heading to Penasco with Murril and Al for the Peacemaker music weekend. The weekend was huge with 21 bands playing at various venues including JJ’s cantina and the major venues near Banditos cantina. This was their first visit during a major music event and were very surprised by the whole experience. A good time was `definitely had.
Weather Drama for our trip north
Now on the the major drama that has developed over the past 2 days for trip north to Penasco. Tropical storm Bud has exploded into a cat 3 hurricane. The path has a very high probability of hitting the Loreto area based on current projections. Gato Loco is setting in Puerto Escondido in the mooring field that wouldn’t be a good place to ride out a hurricane. It should only be a tropical depression at that stage with winds less than 40. It’s projected to head north at a pace that is concerning and could be out run if we move fast if it takes the veer east as projected. BUT if it would run up the Baja coast we would have to turn and stand our ground. The good news it is projected to loose it’s strength as it passed over Baja and might just be a rain event. Even better yet it may dissolve away in the Pacific before making landfall. Tomorrow will give us a better fell.
Tuesday June 12th
Bud is not reported to increase and is predicted to still become just a tropical depression reaching the Loreto area which is an improvement.
Our plan at the moment is to run to Santa Rosalia and wait out the storm before continuing north. I’m writing this at the Tijuana airport and will probably know more when we get to Puerto Escondido.
The crew experiencing this voyage
Jeffrey, Doug and Lowell
Photos to come..
We will be taking good care.
Until the next update
Here was our Likely schedule heading north, This assumes Bud is not a factor. We may have to push north much quicker.
Tuesday June 12th arriving and provisioning, Dinner at the marina
Wed(13) – mid-morning departure to Santispac, Dinner on board
Thurs(14) – Santa Rosalia, Dinner on shore
Fri(15) – weather delay
Sat(16) – weather delay
Sun(17) – Long day to San Fransiquito, Dinner on board
Mon(18) – Bay of LA, Dinner on shore
Tues(19) – Puerto Refugio, Dinner on board
Wed (20)– Puerto Lobos, Dinner on board
Thurs(21) – Puerto Penasco, we’re home!!! Dinner on shore