Leg 6–Big wind and seas heading north
We sent out a quick update early this morning as we departed Santa Rosalia since it’s the last internet until Bay of LA a couple days up the Sea.
West winds are blowing 15-20 as forecasted giving us a hot ride for the first 30 miles north. The surprise was 3-4 ft seas running south in our face forcing us to power back to avoid punching waves with our bow and send water over the cabin. A couple hours of this and the jib suddenly came down forcing me to tether and head to the bow and work with Rob in the cockpit to get the sail down and secured on the foredeck. Pretty soggy experience.
Mid day and winds and seas settle as forecasted and we’ve made the best progress north yet. An examination of the jib we find the head strap that attached to the furler gave way sending the sail down the furler slot. Rob and I came up with a repair. The strap was long enough to burn the ends to overlay for lots of wipe stitches. Looks good and we will see how it holds up. Tonight in anchorage we’ll need to go up the bosons chair and fetch down the furler head and halyard.
Bay of LA high tide is at 3:20 so the early afternoon we’re getting a tidal push close to 2 knots and we arrive at the anchorage around 4:30 with a 11.5 hour 77 mile passage.(incredible).
Left – the lighthouse at the entrance to Cala San Francisquito where we anchor for the night. The photo below shows the slot we’re anchored
Nothing caught today to Rob’s frustration. He evened fished the anchorage with no luck.
Calm cool night with the moon breaking over the eastern ridge of the anchorage as we retire. It’s going to be perfect night for sleeping with this flat calm anchorage.
All good on Gato Loco
Until the next Update.
Moon rise and Rob swinging his POI’s on the foredeck
Sending this update from Alfonsinas in Gonzaga Bay. We’ll be crossing to Penasco tomorrow (Sat)